The Manor House in Dolná Krupá


The Manor House in Dolná Krupá video.

Dolná Krupá village lies north from Trnava in the valley of Krupský stream. The most significant cultural and historical landmark of the village is the classicistic manor house situated in the middle of the village. It was built between 1793 and 1795 at the place of an older manor house and its construction was initiated and ensured by a yeoman family line of Brunswicks descending from Hlohovec. The manor house was designed by the main architect of the Hungarian Direction of Construction, J. J. Talherr. The result of the reconstruction was a Baroque – Classicistic residence extended by theatre, gardener’s house, orangery, spa house and park with a summer house. By 1819 another reconstruction had taken place, this time in antique style. The final architectonic complex that resulted from the reconstruction has been an example of the most beautiful countryside classicistic architecture in Slovakia. Between 1800 and 1806 the manor house was reportedly visited by Ludwig van Beethoven (1770 – 1827), who during his stays composed also Moonlight Sonata. Thanks to Brunswick family he also met the love of his life here - Giulettou Giuccardi, and gained access to upper classes in Vienna. Since 1813, the manor house was linked with Chotek family who belonged to the most important family lines in Austria-Hungary. The Chotek family owned the manor house until 1945 when it was completely deprecated during the passage of the front. Later it served as a medical institution and after extensive restoration between 1969 and 1978 it became the House of the Slovak musical composers. The three-floored building stands on the edge of a large English landscape garden with a little lake and rare wood plants, which was modified in a style of ideal antique land under the leadership of a garden architect Henrich Nebien from 1813 to 1819. Together with the manor house it creates one of the most beautiful landscape and architectonic units within the Kingdom of Hungary. The most valuable part of the interior is the ceremonial hall with preserved wall paintings from the 18th century. On occasions it hosts musical concerts. Nowadays the manor house is a residence of Musical museum which is managed by Slovak National Museum. One of the museum’s expositions is the exposition dedicated to the life and work of Ludwig van Beethoven located in the rococo pavilion near the manor house.

The Manor House in Dolná Krupá
 

Contact

The Manor House in Dolná Krupá
Hlavná 572/109
919 65 Dolná Krupá

GPS:
N 48.484167 / E 17.546111

Phone: +421 33 2453130
E-mail: edita.bugalova@snm.sk
Webpage: http://www.snm.sk/?about-the-museum-6
 
 
 

Events calendar
February 2020
  1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29  
What to see...
Tailor-made accommodation