The Church of the Assumption of Virgin Mary in Malženice

Malženice village lies on the Blava stream north-east from Trnava. The most valuable landmark and the dominant of the village is originally Roman-Catholic Church of the Assumption of Virgin Mary from the 13th century. The church was originally a two-tower building with three naves from the turn of Romanesque and Gothic style. It resembles to a church that can be found in Kaplná in the Senec district. The church was built by the Order of German Nights later replaced by the chivalric Order of Johanites. In the 14th century, the church was extended by a new cross vaulted presbytery. At the beginning of the 17th century it was modified to a three-nave church when the Renaissance vaults were added. It could have been around 1634 and this reconstruction probably caused the change of patronage from St. George to the Assumption of Virgin Mary The originally two-tower west face was damaged and replaced by one new tower, which was placed within the axis of the three naves. During an extensive reconstruction in 1890, a high pyramid roof was built. It was supplemented at the hips by late Baroque stone statues of saints- St. Florian, St. John of Nepomuk, St. Catherine and St.Elisabeth. The main altar was made in 1908 and the side altars in the second half of the 19th century. Two valuable bells from the 18th and 19th century were in the period of the World War I used for military purposes. After the end of the war in 1924 three new bells were ceremonially lodged into the tower. The big bell was dedicated to Sacred Heart of Jesus, the middle one to Virgin Mary of Seven Sorrows and the small bell to St. Joseph. The Romanesque period is preserved in the perimeter walls and the window in the attic area of the south side of the nave. The Gothic period is represented by the groin vault in the presbytery and stone pastophorium embedded into the north wall. The gothic portal was walled into the south side of the nave where also the immured gothic window should be located. The church sacristy was built on the south side which was not that common.

The Church of the Assumption of Virgin Mary in Malženice
 

Contact

The Church of the Assumption of Virgin Mary in Malženice
Malženice 288
919 29 Malženice

GPS:
N 48.451200823 / E 17.676465511

Phone: +421 33 7434120
E-mail: farnost.malzenice@abu.sk
 
 
 

Events calendar
April 2024
0MO 0TU 0WE 0TH 0FR 0SA 0SU
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30  
What to see...
Tailor-made accommodation