Manor House Park in Dolná Krupá

The most important, cultural and historical monument in the centre of Dolná Krupá and one of its wonders is certainly the classical manor house built between 1793 and 1795. It was constructed on the site of an older manor house and it was adjusted between 1820 and 1821.  It belongs to the most beautiful buildings of rural neoclassical architecture in Slovakia. It became famous for the visits of Ludwig Van Beethoven in the early 19th century. The large English park with lakes and rare trees is another wonder of the village and undoubtedly adds even more charm to this magnificent aristocratic residence owned, in the past, by the Brunswick family. The establishment of the park is due to the Brunswick family that had become owners of the manor in the 1749. They rebuilt the former mansion into a manor house in the late 18th century. The park with an area of about 20 ha was modified between 1813 and 1819 under the direction of a landscape architect Henry Nebbiena, who gave the park an ideal antique country style. So the park, together with the manor house, created one of the most beautiful landscaped-architectural units in the Kingdom of Hungary. Another interesting place bordering with the park was the Rosarium (rose garden) of Countess Mária Chotková, who was one of the most respected cultivator and collector of roses in Europe. The current park is fenced but still opened to the public. There is a modern fountain from the eighties of 20th century at the entrance to the manor and the park. Some of other preserved architectural enhancements in the park are: the obelisk, the artificial cave (grotto) and the sculpture of Madonna with a child. A section of the original wall is preserved in the western part of the park. There is an artificial hill from the period of the park`s adjustment, which serves as a sightseeing spot over the entire park. The hill rises to the height of nearly 15 meters above the surrounding ground. In the park there is also a small lake and so called Luisa’s island located in the widened part of the Krupský stream.  Many exotic and domestic decorative trees and bushes have been preserved, out of which the greatest rarity is a specimen of a giant sequoia. Its trunk circumference, at the height of 1.3m, is almost 5 m and it reaches a total height of 48 m. It was planted around 1860 and is now a protected tree. Beside the classicist manor farm buildings, also a rococo pavilion dedicated to Ludwig van Beethoven (former gardener’s house) and a greenhouse are preserved. Under the administration of the Slovak National Museum the mansion currently houses the Music Museum.

Manor House Park in Dolná Krupá
 

Contact

Manor House Park in Dolná Krupá

Dolná Krupá

 
 
 

Events calendar
February 2024
3MO 3TU 3WE 3TH 3FR 3SA 3SU
  1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29  
What to see...
Tailor-made accommodation